Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Flower that Tells Time


Is it 4 o'clock yet?

Check the four o'clock flower, and if the blooms are open, then it's at least late in the afternoon.

The four o'clock not only knows what time to open, it's fragrance is rich! My grandmother had one of these plants, and every summer afternoon, we'd run to the four o'clocks to see if they were open so we could smell the flowers.

However, it seems time has little to do with its blossoming. The late evening drop in temperature actually causes these little gems to open. Oh well! Another thing I didn't know, the little black seeds that we used to decorate mud pies with are extremely poisonous! But if you want to attract humminghbirds and butterflies, then here's a great addition to your garden.


Thanks to Christine Weerts for contributing this photo.

8 comments:

Lois said...

We always had these in our backyard growing up! They are so pretty.

Zahra said...

we had them in front of entrance door..they are in different colors,we had the yellow one and the one you took it's picture...
they are lovely...

We love Luna said...

How cool, thanks so much for teaching me about this delicate beautiful flower,I din't know much about this flower but I can tell about the lovely fragrance, I feel it when I walk at the park near my place here, it's so good!
Hugs
Mommy Léia and little LUna ( WE LOVE LUNA)

Anonymous said...

These are part of what I call the Victorian era flowers. They were and still are common around older homes here where I live. I like them and some come in different colors.

Halcyon said...

Very pretty! I love those bright pinks.

Kate said...

I always love the colours that nature puts together.

Tanya Breese said...

I've never heard of these before, but I love the color!!

Carolyn said...

I love 4 O'clocks!!!

Nice Blog!

Carolyn
www.thebarberbunch.blogspot.com/